Thursday, March 29, 2007

The greatest sacrifice of all?

For me, it`s fast food. For my friend Rachel, it`s chocolate. But as this Easter approaches, some young and devout Christians are anxious to return to what they gave up for Lent: online networks such as MySpace and Facebook.

According to an article published on CNN.com, these dedicated and disciplined Christians feel that giving up the addictive popular social networks is a sincere sacrifice.

"It`s been hard, especially in the beginning, " said 23-year-old Kerry Graham who says she gave up Facebook for Lent.

Graham who was raised Catholic and is currently studying theology at the University of Nottingham in England, admits that during the first few days of Lent she had to stop herself from typing in the websites` address every time she checked her email.

For many Facebook and MySpace users, the online communities provide a way to keep in touch with classmates, relatives and new friends without having to bear the financial brunt of a long-distance cell phone bill.

MySpace and Facebook are the largest social networking sites on the web. According to comScore Networks, an online measurement firm, MySpace attracted 64.4 million visitors in February with Facebook following behind as the Internet`s second most visited site with 23.6 million visits that same month.

Perhaps giving up time online is something everyone should take into consideration . Clinical psychologist Dr. Maressa Hecht Orzack of the Computer Addiction Study Center at Harvard`s McLean Hospital has found that limiting the amount of time spent on social networking can be beneficial.

According to Dr. Orzack, students who demonstrate compulsive Internet use often neglect schoolwork. In some cases, this behavior results in a lack of sleep, missed meals, poor hygiene and in some extreme situations seizures.

Whether or not I agree with Dr. Orzack`s findings about Facebook and poor hygiene, I am willing to admit that sometimes I spend time "facebooking" when I really should be working on a research paper but after all I am in college and I`m still working on my time management skills (although I always get everything done on time).

What is most disturbing to me personally is that I honestly don't think I could 40 days and 40 nights without checking my Facebook account. Its like asking me not to check my e-mail or watch the morning news. Facebook has become part of my daily routine, important things happen Facebook (And I`m not just talking about who broke up with who or what my ex-boyfriend did over Spring Break) and it has become an integral part of college life, so for now fast food will have to do.

Happy Easter.


For more about Facebook, MySpace and Lent please visit:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/internet/03/29/no.facebook.lent/index.html

No comments: